Friday, June 3, 2016

New Swing Jazz Guitar YouTube Performance Videos!

Here's a new batch of tunes I recorded on May 26th. As you can see, I finally found a pickguard bracket that works on the old Kalamazoo! Hope you enjoy!

'Taint No Sin (To Take Off Your Skin And Dance Around In Your Bones):



Here's an old relic from the late 1920's, but its got some great, silly lyrics and a cool melody and chord progression. I first heard the tune on Marty Grosz's record "Take Me To The Land Of Jazz," and have loved it ever since.


Blizzard Of Lies:


Another humorous tune, but in this case much more modern. I came across this one by jazz lyricist, singer, and pianist Dave Frishberg on an album called "Dave Frishberg Songbook, Vol 2." I think we can all relate to being constantly assaulted with a blizzard of lies! The harmonic structure is quite interesting too, complete with some slightly more exotic chords that I usually don't come across in my rhythm playing, including a few 13 and #4 chords. That little minor key intro that reappears between each chorus is pretty neat too.


Satin Doll:


Here's one of Ellington's later classics, frequently learned early on by jazz players including myself, where I first played it back in my piano days. I've since had a place in my heart for the tune, and here I present an arrangement/improvisation on solo plectrum guitar.


The Lady's In Love With You:



A simple but fun little tune dating from the late 1930's, I came across this one on yet another Marty Grosz record of mine, where he does it in a trio context of guitar, bass, and clarinet. The improvised choruses are fun to play on a basic tune like this; there's not much to get in your way as far as complex chords, and its easy to just let go and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment