Friday, July 15, 2016

Review: Grand Rapids Rotary North Disc Golf Course

This past weekend I finally got up north of town and played the Grand Rapids Rotary North Disc Golf Course in Belmont MI. I went with a friend who had played there before and had said it was one of the better local courses he had played. I definitely have to agree. It may be one of the best disc golf courses in the Grand Rapids area.

The 18 hole course is laid out on an former ball golf course. First pulling into the parking area shows this course to be mostly open, playing through and around many marshes. The course has a nice clean look and there is no trouble finding the first tee.

Being that this is an old ball golf course, the course has a professional feel to it, with a nice layout and a logical flow from hole to hole, and markers to show where to go next. The tee signs are fantastic here and are very professional looking. The tee pads, while just rubber mats for the time being, were surprisingly effective. Due to the many marshes on the course, you really have to strategize and plan each shot, an aspect I liked a lot. Each hole we played was well thought out and fun to play.

The course had a few minor issues. It was clear that even though we have been in a fairly dry weather spell, there was evidence of dried mud in certain areas, leading me to believe this course could flood quite a bit in the spring. There was also one hole out of commission, I believe number 13, due to poison ivy overgrowth around the basket. This messed up the flow trying to figure out where to go next. I've heard this has been an issue for some time now, and I hope they get this hole fixed or moved to another location soon.

Grand Rapids Rotary North is a great course. I can definitely see this being one of the courses used for the Masters Pro Worlds when it comes to Grand Rapids next summer. All that really needs to happen is getting that poison ivy cleaned up! With a great variety of shots, a great layout, and a generally well kept, neat look, this is truly a must play course, no matter your level of skill. I know I'll be back to play it again soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment